No one is perfect. Some people seem to be perfect, but they are not. We all have bad habits. Some habits we will never break, but we can break some if we really want to.
I want to break a few bad habits and I know it will take a lot of dedication and work. By using a system for each one in my bullet journal I think it will be easier to do.
This post contains affiliate links.
Slow and Steady
I know better than to quit anything cold turkey. Somethings are made worse if you try to quit cold turkey and you are also bound to relapse on other things if you quit instead of working on changing a little bit at a time. Breaking my bad habits is going to require a lot of dedication. Hopefully, replacing my bad habits with good or atleast better habits will help.
I Will Power, I Won’t Power, I Want Power
Kelly McGonigal is a health psychologist and lecturer at Stanford University. She has a book out called The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It. I’m adding her book to my reading list because I totally do have that inner struggle on things. I know what is good, what is bad and what I want in life.
My Bad Habits
I guess I should focus on my bad habits that are the most crucial to work on. The things that affect my health and mental well-being. My bad habits are nothing crazy. Like I don’t snort coke, shoot heroin, smoke meth or crack. I don’t go on crazy shopping sprees. I think most of my bad habits are pretty typical.
A List of My Bad Habits
- I smoke cigarettes. Over the years I have quit several times, but the truth is I actually enjoy smoking and wouldn’t consider myself a full blown addict to nicotine. I just simply like to smoke. It relaxes me mentally.
- I say yes too often agreeing to do things even though I know they will push me past my threshold with my illness. I need to start saying no more often and respect myself and my limits.
- Eating too many carbohydrates like crackers, pasta, rice, potatoes, and chips. They even make me sick and I still eat them, stupid right?
- I drink too many calories. I like my coffee pretty flavorful and I enjoy ice cold sweet tea.
- Procrastination. I leave things until they are due and then I have to work my ass off to get them complete. I always get them done and say I work better under pressure. The truth is, it sucks my soul dry.
- I allow people to take advantage of my ability to never say no. Which means I get used pretty often for my skills and talents.
- I get into endless arguments with people on social media. People that have no influence on my life and I shouldn’t care what they say. But I always have to have the last word.
- I tend to skip breakfast more than I eat breakfast. This leads to me getting aggitated when low blood sugar kicks in.
How Will I Do It?
I am sure there are more, but these are my bad habits that I would like to work on this coming new year. So, I need to work out some ideas for my bujo to track and help myself to break these bad habits. Once I get those pages figured out I will share them here on the blog. I always put to do lists in my bullet journal but have never done an undo list.
So, the plan of action would be to start with the undo list. I can start with the 8 things I spilled my guts open to you about above. Then from there, the idea would be to figure out some sort of tracking system in my bullet journal for each thing. This way I can see when I am slipping up and fix it. I think I will start the undo list today, look at me already working on breaking my procrastination habit!
Maybe a reward for doing good for a certain period of time? I like rewards! If you have any ideas please post them in the comments! Oh, punishments…should I charge myself for fails, or should I just give myself some grace for slip-ups? I do tend to slip and slide all over the place sometimes.
Be sure to subscribe to the blog as well as the newsletter. Both forms can be found in the sidebar over yonder. This way you can see if I screw this up or if I complete the goal of breaking my bad habits. I need someone to keep me on my toes!